Branding Yourself for the Future
UC Merced’s Office of Leadership, Service and Career will help you build skills and experiences to shape your personal brand and forge a pathway to your future professional goals. For internships and career opportunities, visit hire.ucmerced.edu.
Work directly with career specialists assigned by academic program who provide individualized coaching, job search assistance and interview preparation, and facilitate employer connections.
Meetups and Events
Meet employers, alumni and community leaders who can enhance your career readiness as you enter the global job market. Ongoing customized programs will empower you to create your best professional self.
- Resume assistance and digital brand development
- Company and graduate school information sessions
- Treks to businesses in Silicon Valley, Los Angeles and San Francisco
- Career, internship and graduate school fairs
- Networking socials with professionals in multiple fields
- Leadership development and community service opportunities
You will find that employers appreciate the intellectual capacity, diverse perspectives and professional engagement of UC Merced graduates. For some students, graduate, law and medical schools beckon after their journey here.
Recent employers who have hired UC Merced graduates:
- California State Assembly
- E. & J. Gallo Winery
- Kaiser Permanente
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- National Park Service
- Pacific Gas & Electric Co.
- Teach for America
- Tesla Motors
Recent graduate schools UC Merced students have been accepted to:
- Northeastern University
- Santa Clara University School of Law
- UC Davis School of Public Health
- UC Hastings College of the Law
- UCLA School of Public Health
- University of Southern California School of Social Work
The CalTeach/University of California Science and Math Initiative is a program that prepares and supports students who are interested in becoming K-12 math and science teachers.
The CalTeach program at UC Merced offers:
- Academic planning advice
- Experience in elementary, middle and high school classrooms
- Courses designed to enhance and support classroom placements
- Information about teacher credentialing requirements in California
- Financial assistance for those who qualify (TEACH grant eligible programs)
- Natural Science Education Minor with Teaching Credential (NSEC): Completing the NSEC minor allows you to graduate with both a bachelor’s degree from UC Merced and a teaching credential in science or mathematics from UC Berkeley.
- Natural Sciences Education (NSED)
- NSED + Central Valley Teacher Preparation Partnership (CVTPP)
More info at calteach.ucmerced.edu.
The Pre-Law subfield of the Political Science major focuses on the study of legal institutions and behavior of legal actors.
The Merced Pre-Law Society provides resources that will help students get accepted into law school. The group is very active on campus, hosting a variety of events and collaborating with other clubs. They also provide information on different law schools, LSAT prep questions, admission sessions and law icebreakers.
More info at catlife.ucmerced.edu/organization/prelaw.
If you are considering a career in the health care field, or would like to do medical research, UC Merced provides rigorous interdisciplinary programs to prepare you for graduate or professional school, and one-on-one attention from faculty members and mentors. Opportunities for leadership and research as an undergraduate provide a competitive edge when applying for post-graduate study.
Pre-Health Advising offers a variety of services, some of which include:
- Informational workshops
- Assistance with course selection > Exploration of career options
- Exam preparation
More info at prehealth.ucmerced.edu.
UC Merced was ranked #16
among schools nationally
for career outcomes by
Educate to Career